The salt we use to keep our roads, parking lots and sidewalks free of ice during the winter finds its way into our rivers where it is toxic to fish and hurts water quality. Salt is also corrosive to our infrastructure and can kill the vegetation on our landscape.
Below are resources to help your community be smart about their winter salt use:
All of our winter chloride resources are housed under the Salt Smart Collaborative at saltsmart.org. This is a great website to share with residents looking for more information on the impact of winter road salt.
Winter Deicing Trainings
Through Salt Smart, we offer yearly deicing workshops and webinars. Registration for the 2023 Virtual Deicing Workshops is now open.
Salt Smart and You Exhibit
Winter Chloride Watchers - Promotional Materials
Find more information about the Winter Chloride Watchers volunteer program at www.theconservationfoundation.org/wcw/
- How Does Salt Melt Snow and Ice? | Download as Word Document
- Salt Smart Tips for Staying Safe on the Roads this Winter | Download as Word Document
- After It Snows, What Gets Plowed First? | Download as Word Document
- Winter Clean-Up Tips | Download as Word Document
- Anti-Icing: The Stripes That Keep You Safe | Download as Word Document
- Lose the Crunch, Love the Lines: Why We Need to Adopt Anti-Icing | Download as Word Document
- How Winter Salt Affects Our Pets | Download as Word Document
- The Scoop on Road Salt: How Chlorides Impact the Environment | Download as Word Document
- Why Salt Brine is Better Than Rock Salt | Download as Word Document
- Tools for Clearing Snow at Home | Download as Word Document
- Salt Smart Water Softening | Download as Word Document
Social Media Posts
Click to view and download individual comic panels. Perfect for social media!
Salt Scatter Cups
A 12 ounce cup or mug full of salt is enough to cover 10 sidewalk squares! Share these salt scatter cups with residents to promote Smart Salting techniques.
Members can contact Lea Rodbarry to get free cups.
Technical webinars for Public Works crew and independent contractors are available at https://saltsmart.org/workshops/